Thursday, April 3, 2014

Pigs & Pearls

“Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.” Matthew 7:6


While praying for a dearly loved young lady one night, asking God for wisdom and direction, my heart heard the whisper, “Don’t throw your pearls to the pigs.” I was horrified. Too harsh. Surely an ungodly thought. So I bowed my head again intent on continuing my prayer and again the words came, “Don’t throw your pearls to the pigs.” I was speechless (a very rare thing), but my mind began to spin out of control. This was a child of God. Yes, her behavior and attitude did not indicate or lead you to believe this, but… We couldn't just give up on her. More time. More lessons. More interactions. More. More. More.
But, no. Had I failed her? Could I have done something different? Was this my fault? I had poured and poured into this precious life, where had I gone wrong? With these thoughts plaguing me I reached for the phone. I needed wisdom and someone who had lived this. I called my youth minister’s wife. Because you see, she had poured into me for years and I too at one time was the pig. She would be able to shed light and give me some hope and hopefully direction.
Boy, did God use her to alter my perspective. We are called to spread seed and maybe even add some water, but only God can produce the plant and only God, with the consent of the individual, can change the soil. Over watering does not produce life in a plant with bad soil. It kills. Scattering more seed and more seed on rocky or weedy soil does not change the soil. We are seed scatterers and we trust God with the rest.
hadn't failed. Jesus had Judas for three long years. He heard every story, saw every miracle and yet he rejected and betrayed Jesus. Jesus, the Son of God, loved Judas, washed his feet, prayed for him and yet Judas never allowed him to change the soil of his heart. Jesus didn't fail. And neither do we. We love, we pray and we scatter seed. And then we trust God to handle everything else.
That prodigal child, lost spouse, wayward youth, the best thing we can do for them is to love them and give them to God. Will it hurt? Do they take a piece of you with them? Yes. But, Jesus promises peace which makes no sense. And in that moment he will provide all that you need.
**Thanks Barbie, for allowing God to use you to minister to me as I let my little piggy go.
IF you are reading this and you are the wayward, the prodigal or the lost, I need you to know, no matter how far you have run, how deep the mud, you have a heavenly Father waiting with open arms for your return. You have not used up his patience or love. You are dearly loved and will always be welcome.





4 comments:

  1. Great to see your comment section open, Deanna. Yay! Great thoughts here. Love the overwatering simile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great article! My favorite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great article. My favorite yet.

    ReplyDelete