Thursday, May 15, 2014


Settling

            Physical therapy consumed much of my time as a child, or at least that is how my memory reads. There was much time stretching, strengthening, and complaining. I hated every minute of therapy. However, I am now eternally grateful for those long hours. I can do far more than the doctors ever dreamed, because my parents persevered despite my tantrums and tears. They understood the value of pressing forward despite the opposition (me)—because cerebral palsy was not something that was going away.

            I am once again seeing a physical therapist and we have become friends. Shocking but true. I need her knowledge and expertise to walk pain free. We have made huge strides together. However, recently she mentioned my hand and the possible need to see an occupational therapist. Since we are friends, I decided to give it a try.

            Well, I didn’t realize there was so much I couldn’t do. It was most disheartening. The therapist asked me to do the craziest things and most often, I couldn’t. And really who cares? Right? Why waste so much time on something that wasn’t even bothering me. My right hand can hold my phone or my drink; seemed enough to me. Why ask it to do more?

            The therapist had a much different opinion and outlook. “Why not be as healthy as you can be? Why settle for less than you can have?”

            Her words continue to haunt me. “Why settle?”

            In my physical life I have chosen to settle for years and the result is deterioration. Muscles are shrinking and weakening. The situation now requires hours of work each week just to try to regain all I have lost. And honestly, I lost it and didn’t even notice it going. Just one day, there were so many things I could no longer do.

            If not vigilant, spiritual life can suffer the same fate.  A thriving relationship with Jesus with enough “settling” quietly falls into disrepair. A compassionate heart becomes cold and hard without notice or warning. It doesn’t happen overnight; but it sure seems like it. A powerful prayer life decays into a rotting bunch of trite mumbled prayers. When did it happen? It was never the desire or intent, but it happened.

            Settling is more than just settling. It is an unconscious path to a subtle decline. Time masks the progression of dilapidation. Long before noticed the damage sets in. Full recovery demands intense time and energy just to regain what was lost.

            The solution? Never chose to settle! “Why not be as healthy as you can be?”

            The greatest aim—a powerful passionate pursuit of Jesus. In the chase, growth and fruit result.

            Settling is never an option.

1 comment:

  1. Deanna, I love this. We can settle or move toward God's potential and what we often consider the "impossible."

    ReplyDelete