Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Keep Your Eye on the Ball


Keep Your Eye on the Ball

A tangled heap of cleats, pads, helmets and jerseys. The game of football. While I grasp the basic idea of the game, the details boggle my mind. However, a determination to learn prevails. Every time #88 enters the field I want to know what he is doing. Football moms, just one of our responsibilities and joys.
Capturing the game with prize pictures, another responsibility I take extremely seriously. The 150 plus photos taken at each game proves my determination yet also highlights my ignorance of the sport. As father and son peruse my photographic efforts, a running commentary on the game ensues. I desperately try to follow the conversation, unfortunately with limited success. Thankfully they eventually take pity on my frustration and, less than patiently, begin to instruct the clueless football mom.
These weekly sessions enhance my knowledge of this bewildering pastime. I now know positions, players’ responsibilities and what a good block, tackle, throw and play should look like. In pictures. On the field, the chaos still baffles me, as I often lose sight of the ball completely. And the field again appears to be a place of tossed about boys and their equipment. 
With minimal effort, these sports photos translate to life. At a glance, the disarray seems without purpose, a tangled mess of life and people. Observers easily lose sight of the primary purpose. As daily life requires quick calls, fast feet, and excessive strength, the participant must be fully aware of where God is in each moment.
Just as running, blocking, dodging and passing are worthless movements without the football, so are endless days of activity without Jesus. Actions, regardless of earthly value, have no eternal value without God. Likewise, regardless of how mundane, activities which include Him instantly achieve eternal significance. When life begins to look and feel disheveled, take a moment and readjust your focus. The Prince of Peace can take the tangled and tousled and provide meaning and value.











No comments:

Post a Comment